Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Listen Kate

Last Sunday I decided to go on a walk with my grandpa. We got out of the car and started to take a leisurely stroll up a hill. Grandpa stopped every so often to point out to me all sorts of flowers, trees, and bushes. One time he stopped and said, "Listen Kate do you hear that bird? Do you know what that is?" I had no clue as to what bird he talking about, I didn't even hear a bird. It took me so long to hear that bird until finally I heard it chirping loud and clear. At first I thought "this is not a good situation, I am becoming deaf." Then I realized that is not possible I am perfectly capable of hearing, its just my mind is cluttered. As we got to the top of the hill we met several walkers and runners most of them listening to music. Grandpa told me that it was a shame that these people were all plugged in because they were missing out on a lot. I had to agree with him, they were missing out and I had been too. I suppose we live such fast paced cluttered lives we become comfortable with the constant stimulation. Nature is something that is capable of giving everyone peace of mind. I know this is what I need and what I want more of. I just have to be willing to stop and listen.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE THIS POST!!! So true! I've found more and more that I LOVE the silence of nature <3

    ReplyDelete