Monday, September 19, 2011

English 101 (notable characteristics in a famous person)

I quietly sit on the black leather chair. My eyes scurry and dance as I watch the people go about through the airport. One man is talking with aggravated tones on his phone. Another women angrily yells at her whining little boy. A woman frustratedly tries to get her ticket information confirmed with an agent. In my mind, I formulate reasons and excuses for the people’s behavior. Despite the benefit I try to give them, their attitude still marks itself in my mind as churlish and selfish. As a result of this I find myself stereotyping cities, countries, and races based on a few people’s behavior. I suppose I am a person who basis my thoughts on emotions instead of facts. However, as I begin to think about what each person posses and the abilities we have, I began to see the beauty in people. You do not have to look far to see beautiful characteristics displayed among humanity. Every city, country, and race has the beauty and love that stimulates our world. I believe some of the most notable people are people who dream and pursue, people who fail and endure, and people who lead yet are servants. One of my heroes is Sir Ernest Shackleton. I never thought that I would come to appreciate a seaman so much, but here are the reasons I find this man so inspiring.

Sir Ernest Shackleton knew there was a need for further exploration on the continent of Antarctica. Despite the difficulty in finding proper support and funds, Shakleton continued being persistent about his dream and the world’s need. Eventually the captain’s efforts paid off. He got his crew and ship, which was aptly named Endurance. Shakleton was about to lead a small crew of men on one of the most dangerous voyages. When the Endurance had sailed her last inch through thick ice floes, the men stood on the cold hard ice as they watched their beloved ship slowly be crushed by the unyielding floes. The trek would now have to be taken on foot across the frozen terrain. Knowing his duty as a leader to keep his men alive no matter the cost even if it meant forfeiting meals or a blanket, which he did on many occasions, Shackleton seized opportunities to help his crew, which displayed his spirit of servitude. At times I am sure he questioned the plight and wondered if all hope was lost. Yet he never let an ounce of doubt be revealed to those who questioned hope. The captain had determined his crew would all return to their homeland alive. After safely taking the crew to an uninhabited island, Shackleton faced a hard decision; the men were becoming delusional and they needed medical attention quickly. Shackleton could go and try to find help on South Georgia, which was 600 miles away through one of the most dangerous seas or he could wait and hope someone would find them. He chose to go to South Georgia. He took a few men and a life boat which had been modified with sails. After days on the tumultuous seas, they still had no way of knowing if they were going the right direction. Days passed without sun before tiny rays shimmered down through the clouds and they were able to see with their sextant if they were going the right direction. A few days later the little entourage landed on South Georgia. The men were rescued from the uninhabited island and all made it safely back to their homeland.

What I have learned from the story of Shackleton is of a man who had a dream, which he recognized as a need, which later became reality. I think there are many people in the world that have dreams which they are afraid to voice because of the judgement society may place on them. If only we could see that our dreams might become some society’s greatest needs. To have passion about our unseen dreams and to proclaim them as a coming reality is the only way we will further explore to our limits. Often dreams do not actually happen the way they do in our minds. I often find myself forming a utopia out of my dreams. I believe our imagination’s are often like a drug pushing out the realities of life for brief moments to give us a sense of hope and joy. Despite the fact that many dreams fail we must remember that failures will make us stronger people if we let them. We cannot let pain overtake us; we have to overtake pain. We can only do this by having endurance: by getting back up when we fall and by continuing to the have the hope and the joy that our imagination gives us carry out into our every day life. When our dreams finally become a reality, it is our duty to become leaders of them. We had the vision to start with and we need to maintain the vision when we finish. Leaders who are able to communicate to all types of people and to bring all together to catch their vision are the greatest leaders. These leaders also have the potential to be effective servants to all mankind. These are the characteristics I see that make the story of Sir Ernest Shackleton such a motivating and beautiful one. These are the characteristics I want to develop in my own life.

I want to live my life like a painter paints a picture: some people may walk by and question if the artist really knows the strokes he is taking. Others will walk by and notice some new and innovative form of art being expressed. Others will walk by and laugh. I still want the strokes to continue to be brushed across the canvas despite the crowd. When the painting is complete and the artist steps back, I want him to notice the soft rays of light reflecting a kind person wanting to nourish a new way of life to those sequestered by the darkness of the indifferent crowd. I want him to see bright colors reflecting the passion I have for the dreams I want to see made into realities. I want him to see the quiet shadows where I go to find peace of mind. I want him see life illumined from the painting; life which has grabbed hold of attributes such as love, leadership, hope, servitude, and endurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment