Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Elsa

      Several weeks ago I was at my grandma's house. I woke up from a nap to the smell of cigarette smoke wafting through the bedroom. I got up and looked out the window trying to see where the smoke was coming from. There was Elsa, sitting in her faded plastic lawn chair staring intently at what seemed nothing. As days passed I came into contact with Elsa several times. I heard about her cigarettes and how she was wanting to quit but she wandered if it was worth it because either quitting was going to kill her or not quitting would eventually do the same. She said the cigarettes she bought were the cheapest ones she could possibly find, they burned up before a few puffs. I also heard lots of Germany, she lived their during Nazi reign. Elsa likes German food and  the potato salad she makes is pretty mean. Her accent is strong and so is her language, but beneath the old wrinkles and harsh language, which speak of a difficult past, lies a very honest and encouraging old lady. The other day she saw me and started talking to me for a bit, she then confessed for keeping me and told me to go on home. I started walking towards grandma's house until she piped up again. "How you liking your school kid?" she questioned in her thick german accent.
     " I like it" I said.  


     " You're lying to me aren't ya?" I looked at her shocked,


     " Yes I am. I guess, I really do not like it at all" I confessed.


     " Well just hang in there kid, you can do it"


     When I walked away I felt so thankful for Elsa. I suppose because I felt like she understood me and she was there when I needed someone with encouragement. I really want to get to spend more time with her and hear her life story. 

1 comment:

  1. I love reading stuff you write Sarah-Kate! You should really write a book! Yes, I agree with Elsa, hang in here! O, and give me a call any time you need a friend to talk to! I might not always answer but I'll get your voicemail and give you a ring as soon as I can :D Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete