Sunday, January 22, 2012

The first week

   I have been here almost a week and I am finally blogging. I am sorry I have not kept you all updated, I got internet yesterday.  My flight from LA to Dubai was very uneventful but I must say about three hours into the flight I looked down at the tv screen in front of me and I saw that we were over Towner ND. I was really excited, just knowing that my family was only a few miles away. We got to Dubai around 6 pm their time. Our layover was eight hours long so we got a taxi and went to the mall. What a beautiful place many of the men wore long white arab robes, I do not know what they are called. They drove nice cars, Range Rovers, Bentleys, Ferraris, Porches, the list goes on. The city was so clean, the air was clean,  and arab music played everywhere it felt as though I was in a movie. The most exciting part was seeing the Burj, they said it was the tallest building in the world. Dubai seemed like a dream.
  When we came into Dhaka I was amazed at the smog. I couldn't even see the ground until we where about five hundred feet above it. In the airport it looked as though someone had just burnt lunch the air was even smoggy inside. I was afraid to breath inside. I remember last year I was driving through Ventura CA and had my nose tucked inside my shirt, afraid to breath because of the nasty air But sadly Ventura's air has nothing on Dhaka's air. When we drove outside the airport the landscape was filled with people, they where everywhere. I have never seen so many people in my life. We drove to the orphanage that night. I am not sure how many miles it is but what I do know is that we left Dhaka at 5:30 pm and didn't arrive here until 1:00 am. It was a very long and terrifying drive. We drove between 120-140 kph on roads full of motorcyclist, cars, busses, rickshaws, and bicycles. I don't think I will complain about my dads driving for a long time.
   Despite the differences the people are so friendly and the food is very good. The children always want to be held or to have a hand to hold. I am teaching first grade english and math, I really enjoy that. I also am helping lead out in worships every other week. I am so thankful to be here safely. I need to go now and teach but I will try to keep ya'll updated more. Thank you all for the prayers.

4 comments:

  1. Twinny!! Praise God for getting you guys safe and sound there. I pray that you guys will have a blast and do the work that God has in hand for you two. Keep up that beautiful smile of yours and I will be looking forward to reading your post whenever you post it up. Love you my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Sarah-Kate! I'm so excited for you. I've emailed you twice and I haven't gotten a reply yet... I'll be waiting for that. I'll keep you in my prayers and pray that God can use you and double you efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do the children refer to you? DO THEY CALL YOU MISS. LINGERFELT? so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ying Yang, I will email you Mason. They call me Shara teacher!

    ReplyDelete